Saturday, June 15, 2013

Created to be his helpmate

I am currently a stay-at-home mom but before that was an accountant.  That was an odd little phase of life where I wondered what God was doing.  Like everyone, I changed my major several times before finding the perfect fit.  It was so strange that I landed on accounting because that's not really me.  But that is where God led me and so I followed assuming He knew what He was doing.  Things clicked and I enjoyed my classes, I graduated with honors, got an internship and then a job at a firm in the central valley.  I'm thankful that my wonderful parents were supportive and trusted that I was following God's leading.
During this time my husband struggled to know what he was supposed to do and find a major that fit him.  After I went into accounting and got a job, he got interested in accounting.  And wahlah!  He was great at it.  He could be great at anything but this truly is what God created him to do.  My husband finished his accounting degree and got a job at the same firm where I worked.  For two years we got to work together and it was wonderful.

I quit working after we had our first baby and now my husband is a manager and CPA.  He passed all the parts of the CPA exam on the first try (only 10% of people who take it can do that).  He does taxes, financial statements, special district audits, gives in-house CPE classes and he's great at all of it.  THIS is what God created him to do and if it weren't for me, he wouldn't be doing it.  People told him they didn't think this was him and I just kept encouraging him that yes it was and I thought this was where God was leading him.  All those years that I was wondering why on earth God had me in accounting make sense now and I do not think any of my time was wasted.  I have a degree and knowledge I never would have had otherwise.  When my husband talks about his day I understand what he's talking about.  I know his coworkers and clients and am understanding of his long hours.  If I ever wanted to, I could do bookkeeping or taxes from home and if I really needed to could probably get a job at the firm where I'd worked.  I don't know how else God will use accounting in my life but I will be ready!

I was created to be a lot of things and part of that is to be my husbands helpmate.  I don't know why this is such a hot topic for Christian females but it is.  It doesn't mean I don't have a brain, can't have a job, or need to act like a twit.  It doesn't mean that my call is any less important than my husbands but God created wives to be helpmates and created husbands to need that.

Genesis 2:18
18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."

 In the book "Created to be his Help Meet" by Debi Pearl the author says "You are, by nature, equipped in every way to be your man's helper.  You are inferior to none as long as you function within your created nature, for no man can do your job, and no husband is complete without his wife."  This does not mean that you are his doormat, that you need to enable him, or that you can't have your own interests.  It means he needs your help in order to become what God intended for him to be.  What an important job that is!!

Husbands have their own call.  If you woke up one night hearing that someone had broken into your house,  I'm guessing you would wake up your husband and maybe grab the phone to call 911, but your husband would be the one to go out and meet the intruder.  Our husbands are responsible for the physical safety of their family.  They would give up their lives for us.  I don't know about you but I would much rather have the responsibility of helping him and managing the home.  You may have a husband that is not doing his part.  He may be sitting around expecting you to support him.  Not in God's plan.  He may know God but not see the importance of leading his family spiritually.  Not in God's plan.  He may just be a jerk.  Plain and simple.  NOT in God's plan.  But whatever he's doing that is not in God's plan - that does not excuse you from what God calls you to do.  And part of which is to help your husband.

Colossians 3:23
Whatever you do, do your work heartily as for the Lord rather than for men.

No comments:

Post a Comment