Sunday, June 9, 2013

VBS

My kids start VBS tomorrow and I'm excited for them.  I have such special memories of going to VBS when I was little.  My grandparents lived in a small farming community out in the country and I went to VBS at their little country church.  I got to stay at their house for a week every summer.  When I was very young my older brother and two older cousins were also there.  VBS was all day long and my mom would buy fun things for the lunches Grandma would pack us.  I have memories of playing games outside, doing crafts, hearing stories about missionaries, learning the pledge to the Christian flag and the Bible, and singing "Onward Christian Soldiers".

I loved going to Kinsey.  My grandpa used to make his own sausage and that was my favorite thing for breakfast.  I loved going outside in my pajamas and hearing the morning doves.  I have fun memories of hunting for kittens in the barn, swimming in the horse tank, picking raspberries,  and playing badminton and board games.  The first time I ever saw the big dipper was there.  I lost a tooth one year and my grandma accidentally lost it down the drain.  Grandma would always french braid my hair and help me with crafts and Grandpa and I would make fudge.  Being farmers, my grandparents had huge gardens with  rows and rows of beautiful flowers.  Hollyhocks will always be my favorite I think.

My mom was raised in a family that went to church but her parents weren't believers until after she was an adult.  VBS also holds special memories for her because that's where she asked Jesus into her heart.  College students would come to the church and put on VBS every summer.  The only true spiritual feeding she received throughout the year were those weeks she got to spend at VBS

I take for granted the access to Bible teaching I had growing up.  My mom didn't have that but has made sure that her children did.  She changed her family tree.  I think one of the best things she did as a mom was to make us learn memory verses.  I have memorized hundreds of verses because of her and God always brings them to mind at the perfect time.  Speaking of which...this one just came to mind.

Psalm 103:17  But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children

3 comments:

  1. Loved reading about your favorite memories of going to the country as a kid - totally resonated with me! I have similar fond memories growing up on my grandparents' farm outside of Kremlin - the mourning doves cooing in the cool mornings, following mama cat to see if she would lead us to the newest litter of kittens, and picking raspberries. Although picking raspberries was daunting because it was such a big, scratchy patch. But eating homemade jam later made it all worth it. :) Thanks for your blog! It's encouraging and thought-provoking. ---Amy Roncace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! That's fun that we have so many similar memories. :)

    ReplyDelete