Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Setting goals as a mom

One thing that successful people have in common is that they set goals.  They set goals, reevaluate those goals, make changes, set new goals, and so on.  Have you spent much time thinking about what your goals as a mom are?  And what your goals for your children are?  Is it to have fun?  To help them  get an education and career?  To see them happily married?  That they would grow to know Christ?  Anything we do that's in line with God's plan is going to have a greater chance of success.  What do you think God wants for your children?  I think first and foremost would be that our children would know and love Him.  That they would know and love God's word and that they would live with a Kingdom focus.  Anything that they do without those things is meaningless.

Ecclesiastes 2:11
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.

Isaiah 40:8
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever.


It's easy to lose focus and forget what's important.  To get sidetracked by behavior and success.   Why does it matter that our kids are obedient?  Is it because we want to look good or because we want what's best for them?   Is it really important that your child be college educated if they do not know and love God?  What's the point?  This post by Lysa Terkeurst was a good reminder of what's important.  She says that our goal should not be to raise good kids but to raise God-following adults.  http://www.mops.org/page.php?pageid=3325



If that's our goal then how to we go about it?  I think first is to think about what is going into their little minds.  What are they watching or reading?  Not everything has to be about God but if I can choose bible songs, bible shows, and bible books I want to.  Especially at this phase of life.  These kids are so precious and I can see already how fast the time is going.  Right now they love hearing about God and going to Sunday school but that won't always be the case.  Some day I will probably have to drag sullen kids to church.  But right now I don't.  They are excited to get to go and this is the time when it's important to fan that flame.  



What else can we do to help them grown into God-following adults?  Surround them with Godly people.  Take them to Sunday School, and things like VBS, and Awana.  Pray that God brings Godly people into their lives and steer them away from friendships that will not be good for them.  And be an example.  I can do all those things but if I'm living like a heathen none of it will be as effective.  My kids need to see me reading my bible and praying.  They need to see me going to church and Bible studies.  And they need to see me serving others.  


I don't know that my children will grow up to be God following adults.  They were created with their own free will and they will make their own choices in life no matter what I do.  But I am going to do everything possible to lead them in the right direction and to help them make the right choices.  And then I'm gonna pray!  As moms we are held responsible for how we raise our children and it's our job, not anyone else's, to teach them about Jesus.  


Proverbs 22:6

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it





I want this next verse to apply to me.  I want to raise my kids to follow God and raise their families to follow God.  I want my family tree to make a difference for the Kingdom of God.


Proverbs 17:6

Children’s children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.



No comments:

Post a Comment