Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Importance of our words

While feeling blue earlier I was trying to count my blessings.  I remembered back to last week when in the same day,  I got two compliments.  Both comments made me feel good and came at a time when I needed to feel cared for.  How does the enemy attack you?  Because he does.

1 Peter 5:8 says Be alert and of a sober mind.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion waiting for someone to devour. 

When I am under attack,  the enemy makes me feel like people don't like me.  It's different for everyone.  Some people feet fat or ugly, some feel overworked and unappreciated.  Knowing in advance what the enemy likes to use on you may help.  Now I can recognize that when I have those feelings I need to go pray!  And anytime I start a new Bible study, have consistently good quiet times, or am just being obedient to God - it triggers attack.

Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 

When we go about our days we have no idea what's going on with the people we come in contact with.  We may think we do because we saw they posted about such and such on facebook but we really don't know.  Last week when I received those two compliments I was under attack.  There was no way they would have known that but their sweet words came at the perfect time.  Our words are so important and can give others the boost they need to get through a rough day.  Saying "thank you" or giving a compliment is so easy and yet we are often so caught up in our own busy-ness that we forget to do this.  Or we assume that others are saying it so we don't bother.  Last year I listened to a speaker and afterwards told her thank you and that I had really enjoyed her talk.  She was so relieved to hear that she'd done ok.  No one else had said anything to her afterwards and she really had shared her heart.  It was such a simple thing to tell her thank you and I'm glad that I did.  

Proverbs 16:24
Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones

3 comments:

  1. Not a single spelling error! And a good blog. I particularly liked the part about not knowing what's going in the hearts of others, and how much a kind word matters. Good Scripture choices, too. I'm so glad you follow God, Jessi. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. We never know what is really going on with people. And it's awesome to reach out. But so often I hesitate, doubt, and end up NOT saying something out of shyness or just feeling like it won't matter anyway.

    ReplyDelete