Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Feeling Blue

I'm having a rough week and feeling like a failure at everything.  I've recently found that almost every mom I know feels like a failure more often than not.  All of these moms are wonderful moms raising sweet kids and yet we still all feel this way.  I think that social media is partly to blame.  Facebook is wonderful for keeping in touch and on many days is my only link to the outside world.  It gives a skewed view of things though.  We don't post about the times we yelled at our kids or were selfish and crabby.  We don't share about the fights we had with our spouse or the worries we have about money.  Watching everyone else's lives on facebook gives us the ability to compare that our moms and grandma's didn't have.  This post was a good read about "The Facebook Effect"  http://www.victoriabrake.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-facebook-effect.html

More and more lately I am also finding facebook overwhelming.  Like being in a room with 30 people all talking at once.  I try to stay off but find myself hopping on to check something and then suddenly realizing how much time I just wasted.  And that my kids could have really used my attention during the time I was shooing them away.  In order to control the amount of TV my kids watch I picked times of day that the kids could watch and that was it.  Maybe I need to do that for myself with facebook.

My mom often told me to go turn on some hymns if I needed to adjust the mood in my home.  I'm not sure why my mood needs so much adjusting this week.  Maybe I'll feel better if I go clean something.  Or make a list.  Or turn on some hymns...

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name. 
Refrain

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

Refrain

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

Refrain

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

4 comments:

  1. Between this post and the last, your mom seems like a neat lady. And I know you are an awesome mom. We all get overwhelmed. I agree about facebook. I am trying to figure out if I need to be off of it completely or just limit my time. For me, it is mostly just the fact that it can distract me from my kids and it's not really important. At the same time, I like those connections to other adults while being at home with the kids all day..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those connections too. I need that link to the outside world! And so much of my family lives far away, I want them to be able to see what the kids and I are doing. I agree with facebook being a distraction from time with the kids and not really important. I think I need to set specific times of the day to check it, while the kids are not around - like our afternoon rest time.

      Delete
  2. Jessie, I just wanted you to know what an inspiration you are to me in everything you do! Don't sell yourself so short, I know it's easy to do. I love reading all your posts and viewing your family photos on facebook. You have such an amazing family and are doing an exceptional job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tricia! It's nice to be in touch with you and I'm glad that we're fun to read about. :)

    ReplyDelete