Saturday, June 29, 2013

How to Fry an Egg on the Sidewalk

It is HOT here!  I think 109 today and 111 tomorrow.   I took the kids outside to fry eggs on the sidewalk.  Most people who are from here have probably already done this but I have not.  I looked online to see how to do it - just in case there was more to it than cracking the egg and waiting.  I found lots of videos and found this one helpful.

http://www.howcast.com/videos/17480-How-to-Fry-an-Egg-on-the-Sidewalk

I didn't know if we would need the tinfoil to help conduct heat.  It did help and also made it less messy.  I'm all for making things less messy.  This project kindof worked.  It was too hot outside to sit around with the magnifying glass and mirror so we just let them sit.  Of the three eggs we tried, the one that worked the best is the one that got a bit scrambled when cracked.  The yoke cooks faster than the white so that makes sense.



 I'm not sure why we brought along salt and pepper cuz I knew we wouldn't be eating these.  Kinda seems like you can't cook eggs without salt and pepper though...
It was too hot outside to sit here doing this.
 This scrambled up egg is cooking faster.  This is how it looks after over an hour of sitting there.

After 1.5 hours the yoke is starting to cook on this egg.  No action with the white yet though.
The yoke is starting to cook with the sidewalk egg too so I don't know that the tinfoil made much of a difference between these two eggs.
 After three hours I'm callin' it.  This was an interesting project.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Jessie! This is so hilarious! Everyone says, "It's so hot, you could fry an egg on the sidewalk, but I've never seen anyone actually try it!! What a fun Mom!!
    Love,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good - so I'm not the only one who's never done it before? I figured everyone here had done this at some point. :) It was a fun project and we learned something.

      Delete