Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mom sets the tone

It may not be fair but it's true - mom sets the tone for the home.  It doesn't matter if your house is messy or clean, if you spend time reading or crafting with your kids, or if you go and do lots of fun things.  What they will remember is the tone of the home they grew up in.  If they had a happy mom or a stressed out and frazzled mom.  If their mom smiled and stopped to listen, or was always unhappy and busy.  You may have a perfectly valid reason for being upset but when you are a mom you don't just get to have a bad mood because your bad mood seems to affect everything.  What a huge responsibility that is.   If this is the reality of being a mom how do you handle it?

A while back I had the realization that I was really really crabby when I first woke up.  I was shocked to figure that out because I had always thought I was a morning person.  But I guess I'm not.  I hated that the first thing my kids were greeted with each morning was a "WHY are you out of bed!!"  no matter what time they were out of bed.  I determined that I need two cups of coffee and thirty minutes in order to be fully alert and pleasant so that is what I usually strive for.  It means getting up earlier so I can beat my kids up but the tone of the home that they are waking up to is so much nicer.  It also means doing whatever it takes to ease the stress in my life.  Being over committed to things causes stress for me so I need to work harder at not doing that.  I need to pray before (and not after) I sign us up for stuff.  Exercise is a good stress release and eating healthy affects the mood so that's what I need to do.  I also need a break from my kids sometimes.  Since we homeschool I am with them a lot.  I mean a LOT.  I need to plan time away from them so I can have that time to look forward to when we're having a rough day.

What else can you do to improve the tone of your home?  I like to use music.  Hymns are my favorite but any kind of Christian music will do.  My mom always said that it filters the air and I agree.  I have a friend who if she is having a rough time gets the coffee ready for the next day.  Then she knows that at least tomorrow will start right.  Another friend goes to her bedroom, closes the door, and prays.  Sometimes even just a few minutes to clear your head and reset can help.  Susanna Wesley used to throw her apron over her head and pray.  She had a houseful of children and no way to escape but those kids knew that when the apron was over her head she was praying.  I wish that my first response was to pray but it's not.  It's usually to go get a soda or to eat something sweet.  (Praise the Lord for food pantry I can fit a stool into!)

The tone of my home not only affects my family, it affects anyone who comes in contact with my home.  What a ministry this can be!

I don't know if it's true but I heard once that when you take deep breaths it sends more oxygen to the brain and actually relaxes you.  Whatever the scientific reason, I do think taking deep breaths helps and after I started doing that my six year old noticed it and she started doing it.  It has become a really useful tool for her to help herself calm down.  The tools we use to cope and deal, is what our kids see and will think to turn to.  Those little eyes and ears see everything.  Do as I say not as I do children!!  I need to be better at this because they need to see me go grab my Bible or stop and pray and not go get a soda or treat.  And they need to see me count my blessings.



  1. When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
    When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
    Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
    And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
    • Refrain:
      Count your blessings, name them one by one,
      Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
      Count your blessings, name them one by one,
      *Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.
      [*And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.]
  2. Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
    Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
    Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
    And you will keep singing as the days go by.
  3. When you look at others with their lands and gold,
    Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
    Count your many blessings—*money cannot buy
    Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.
  4. So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
    Do not be discouraged, God is over all;
    Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
    Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

No comments:

Post a Comment