Monday, August 12, 2013

Happy Birthday Little Man

 Today my baby boy turns four.  I'm sad about that and wish this wasn't going by so quickly.  He is such a sweet little guy.  All kids are sweet sometimes but he is almost always sweet.  It's part of his general disposition.  He's sensitive, articulate in his little boy way, and musical.  He LOVES music.  He's a good big brother and a stinker little brother.  He plays well by himself and has a good imagination. He loves pirates and Mickey Mouse.  He's very physical and also loves his gymnastics class, jumping on the trampoline, and swimming.  He loves Sunday School, likes to count the number of people who love him, and he always colors everything blue.  Loud noises bother him and I have MANY picture of him with his hands on his ears.

He was my third c-section.  We had to be at the hospital at 6am and he was born at 8:32am.  He weighed 9 lbs 4 oz.  He was so big he had some blood sugar issues and had to be given formula right away because I couldn't nurse him.  I reacted badly to the anesthesia and had then blood pressure issues in recovery.  It felt like it took forever before I got to see him.  My poor husband was starting to get so stressed that they wouldn't let him in to me.  When I finally did see baby boy I couldn't believe
how big and chubby he was!  The medical staff in the operating room had made guesses at his size and settled on 7lbs something.  I knew he had to be bigger - I'd already had two 7lb babies and knew he was bigger.  By the end of his pregnancy I could barely walk!

Everything about this little guy was easier than his sisters had been.  The pregnancy was easier.  The hospital stay was easier.  Recovery wasn't because I had a latex allergy I didn't know about and reacted to the catheter.  Then found out I was allergic to sulfa drugs.  But the adjustment to him was easier because he wasn't fussy.  He was a good sleeper, a good eater, and a mellow/happy baby.  He is still that way.  He's almost always pleasant.  He needs to feel listened to and all kids probably do but it's especially stressful to him to feel like he isn't being heard.  Being in the middle of four kids makes that hard sometimes and having three sisters makes that especially hard.

I wish I could peek into the future and see what God has for him.  I wish I knew if I'm doing everything I need to be doing to prepare him for his future.  He's so easy in so many ways that it's almost harder to train him.  He's so pleasant that I really don't ever care what he's doing.  I'm not used to getting after him but when he pleasantly disobeys it's just as important that I discipline him as it is the sister that yelled and screamed when I told her to do something.  It's easier to remember to pray for the kid who's giving me trouble.  And it's easier to put off teaching him things because he's happy with whatever he's currently doing.  Those are things I need to work on!

Right now my kids just got up and I'm listening to them find all his birthday party decorations.  The sounds of happy kids are wonderful - his sisters are so happy for him that it's his special day.  He's
having a pirate party today and I hope he has fun.  His oldest sister is making him a special breakfast, his next sister is helping, and baby sister is following him around.  God didn't just chose me to be his mom, He chose the sisters my son would have.  I'm so thankful for this precious bunch of children I have.


No comments:

Post a Comment