Friday, May 16, 2014

Enough with the Frozen Songs!

My kids have been singing the songs from “Frozen” nonstop.  We own the movie but have only watched it a few times and yet they know every single word to all the songs.  For me this is such a good reminder how much sinks into those little minds.  Our children grow up so quickly.  Right now they are excited to learn about God but it’s not always going to be this way.  This is the perfect time to be filling up their minds with Godly things.  There’s nothing wrong with Disney songs but there are better things they could use their mental energy on.

One of my most favorite resources for doing this are cd’s that are just Bible verses to music.  Two of the cd’s we like most are “Hide ‘em In My Heart” volumes 1 and 2.  http://www.amazon.com/Hide-Em-Your-Heart-Vol/dp/B001EJH4SW  I also love Seeds Family Worship cd’s.  Their website http://www.seedsfamilyworship.com/ has seven volumes of cd’s.  These are really great because they come with one to keep and one to share.  I love sharing!  Memorizing verses is such an important discipline for any believer and the younger you start with your kids the easier it is.  For kids who can’t read, verses  to music is one of the easiest ways for you to help them memorize scripture.  What you think about affects you.  It influences the decisions you make, the words you say…  I love having verses running through my head.   And I like how it changes the tone of our home.

Some of my favorite movies for my children are the Superbook movies.  Did you watch these as a kid?  A young boy and girl go back in time with a robot and learn from a Bible story.  These movies are being remade and the quality is so good.  The music is good and the lessons from the stories are good too.  When you sign up for the dvd club these come to you in the mail and come with one to watch and one to share.  I love that!  I’ve been told that they have phone apps with study tools to use with your kids too.  I haven’t tried those but it sounds like another good teaching resource.  https://www.cbn.com/giving/special/SBDVDClub.aspx?cpid=PPC_SB-PTD-GOOG-02&m=037427&gclid=CK-U-qbbpr4CFYlafgod0noAyQ

I think church history is important and have a strong desire for my children to know about Godly heroes.  There’s a lot to be learned from these people.  Part of our homeschool year has been reading biographies  and so far have made it through George Muiller, William Carey, and Hudson Taylor.  We are currently reading about Gladys Alward.  I love YWAM publishing’s series called Christian Hero’s: Then and Now and that's where I got the books we've been reading.  This company has several different reading levels and there's also a history curriculum you can use if you homeschool. http://www.ywampublishing.com/c-70-christian-heroes-then-now.aspx

Another dvd series I’ve used with my kids is by Torchlighters.  They have twelve movies about different missionaries and Godly people in history.  These are for older children.  Our favorites have been about Jim Elliott, Gladys Alward, Corrie Ten Boom, and William Booth.  http://www.torchlighters.org/

My older two girls share a room and the other night at bedtime the oldest was telling me her worries.  There were a LOT of them.  I told her that God tells us not to worry and there are lots of verses in the Bible about it. I fumbled around trying to remember one and her sister said "Do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow has enough trouble of it's own" (that's Matthew 6:34). Made my mama heart happy to see some of the fruit of my labors.  When our kids are saved they don't receive a child sized portion of the Holy Spirit.  They get the full sha-bang like we do and the Holy Spirit is working in them.  When we help them to memorize verses it's in there for the Holy Spirit to bring to their little minds at just the perfect time.  It will be helpful to them and a blessing to those around them, just like it was that night.  The things we do with our kids do not have to be solely about God, but nothing will reap the rewards like when we choose Godly resources instead.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

What can you do to help your children learn God's Word today?  

No comments:

Post a Comment