Thursday, May 8, 2014

Oh be careful little hands what you type....

Do you have the Sunday School song "Oh Be Careful Little Eyes" in your head?  That's what I was going for.  :)  

Anyways, facebook is kindof a big deal.  I think I know about two people who don't use it.  I like it because I live far away from family and from many of my closest friends.  It's an easy way to stay connected with those people.  I also like it because I'm a stay-at-home mom and it's my portal to another world.  The world outside this house.

While it's a wonderful site for many reasons, and while it really feels like we're connecting with people, when you put something in writing it's different than having a conversation.  You can't see the person's facial expressions as they typed their update.  You can't hear the tone of their voice or see the emotions they have while responding.  It's so easy to be misunderstood, especially by people you don't know very well.  And most of us have facebook friends that we don't actually know very well.  When you put something in writing it can be read, and reread, and reread, passed around, and reread.  It's easier to forget the details of a spoken conversation.  

When you say something on facebook, it's not between one or two people like it would have been in a face to face conversation.  It's like standing onstage in a room full of three hundred people.  Some people are in the back and not really paying attention, but quite a few are right up front and probably are.  And every time one of those three hundred people responds to you, their three hundred friends can "hear" what you said too.  If we thought about that before typing on facebook I think there would be less typing on facebook.

What do your posts say about you?  They probably give clues about your interests.  Anyone reading my status updates would figure out that I've got children, that we homeschool, and that I love hymns.  Our posts also show our heart just like spoken words would.

Philippians 4:8 says this: Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Our posts on facebook end up being things that others think about.  What is a serious responsibility we have!!  Especially as believers.  What kinds of thoughts are you leaving with others?  For example, I really REALLY don't like it when people use LMAO or LMFAO in a response or post.  I don't want the words that those A's and F's stand for bouncing around in my brain and every time I see it it makes me angry.  If that person was standing in front of me actually saying those words, my mama reflex would tell them to watch their mouth.  I may actually forget myself and smack them!

Are you guilty of venting about things or complaining about something you don't like?  I'm sure we all are, but if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it (or type it).  Lemme say that again.  IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY, DON'T SAY IT.  That is such an easy rule to follow if you are struggling about something you want to post.  (And maybe a gentle reminder if you aren't struggling and feel very free to vent and complain.)  As you go about your facebooking day, think about what you post.  It is true?  Is it noble? It is right or pure? Is it lovely or admirable?  Is it excellent or praiseworthy?  If it isn't, think twice about posting it.  If it isn't, what good can come of it??  Other people's thoughts are going to be affected by what you post so take that seriously.  There will be a lot of people who read your posts and don't "like" them or comment on them but are still thinking about what you wrote.  They may watch a show that you mentioned or read a book you talked about.  They may try a recipe you posted and you will never know that they did those things because of you.  

A while back a friend complained about something and I had it on my brain all day.  Before I knew it, I was all worked up and crabby over it too and it wasn't even something that had happened to me.  I don't want the things I write about to have that affect on people.  I want the things I share to be uplifting and encouraging. I want to bring out the best in people.  I want to leave people with something to smile about or be thankful for.  I want to be a peacemaker and I want to point people towards the Heavenly Father.  In the past I was a big 'ol venter on facebook and I sadly regret it.  I wish I could take back those words.  I also wish that I was as good at that "only say nice things" rule in face to face conversations as I try to be in the written ones.  Something to work on.  For now I'll leave you with this:

Luke 6:45
A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.





No comments:

Post a Comment