Friday, May 9, 2014

Water sinks to it's own level

Have you heard that saying?  I used to hear it a lot growing up.  My parents own a well drilling business and my mom grew up on a farm so I know that lots of lessons can be learned from water.  Literally that saying means that no matter what size or shape of a container, water will always be level on the surface. Figuratively, it means that people will always seek out where they are most comfortable.

I guess I probably knew this, but was recently reminded that some people change their behavior when they're around me.  I could find that annoying or could let it hurt my feelings but I'm choosing to take it as a compliment (at least for that incident).  Do you have people in your life that clean up their behavior when they're around you?  I heard a story of something that happened to someone and then later heard the other version of the story.  I had gotten the cleaned up version.  I'm glad.  Do people stop cussing and telling dirty jokes when you're around?  (The saying "you kiss your grandma with that mouth?" comes to mind.)  Do they put their inappropriate ring tones on silent?  Do they save that gossip for later when you've left?  If so then good for you - people know what you're all about!  Or is it the other way around?  Are they changing their behavior for the worse?  Do people save those dirty jokes for you because they know you'd appreciate it?  Do they call you with the gossip because they know you'd want to hear it?  What kind of behavior do you bring out in other people?


When Jesus walked into a room I think people probably acted differently.  When you have Jesus and walk into a room, people should correspondingly act different.  Your relationship with Him is not meant to be private.  People should know about it and act differently when they are around you.


Yesterday I posted about not complaining and venting on facebook.  I think I do a pretty good job of that but I can't say the same for my spoken words.  I complain too much.  And complainers seek out complainers.  I know which friends I can complain to and which ones I can't.  Shame on me.  I shouldn't be doing it at all!  It's so easy to let those closest to us know what we're really thinking but unless it's going to be useful, beneficial and helpful it'd probably be better to just keep it to ourselves.  Something for me to work on.  


Lots of verses talk about our words.  This passage in James 3:3-12 convicting.  As you go through today think about your words and what you are bringing out in others.  Do people seek you out to gossip and complain?  Friends, this should not be.  We should be bringing out the best in those around us.  And just like the words in our facebook posts, our spoken words are important too.  


Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Ephesians 5:4
Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking,which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.

I think that says it pretty plainly.  Proverbs has lots of verses about our words too.  

Proverbs 17:27
Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding.

Proverbs 29:20
Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him.

And I love this one.

Proverbs 16:24
Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.

What are your words saying about you today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment