Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Basic Manners

Raising kids is about teaching and training and we only have so many years to get this done.  Some things that used to be very basic manners children learned from society are no longer around.  In some ways we have to work so much harder at training our children than our parents and grandparents ever did.  We cannot count on society to teach our kids certain things.  Or anything.  Writing thank you's used to be basic good manners.  Greeting everyone in the room as you entered it, was basic good manners.  Waiting to start eating until everyone at the table is served is basic good manners.  Learning how to carry on a conversation and to make people feel comfortable in your home were skills that are no longer seen as a "skill".

I have a blog post about pet peeves and I try really hard not to think about pet peeves because I've got better use for my head time, but one of my BIGGEST pet peeves is children who look blank when spoken to.  For my own kids, it is completely fine to not carry on a conversation with a creepy stranger.  But if an adult you know, like someone from church, or one of your friends parents speaks to you, you need to answer.  If a little old lady says "hi" or "how are you today?" my seven your old does not get to stand behind me and blink.  My two year old does not even get to do this.  She knows that when someone asks her a question or addresses her, she answers them. When my kids speak to each other they are expected to respond as well.  Nothing makes me wanna smack people more than this does.

Nonresponse is rude.  I don't know why people think this is ok but responding used to be part of basic manners as well.  When you got an invitation you RSVP'ed.  If you received a letter, you wrote back.  If someone said "hi" or asked you a question you answered them.   It doesn't matter if you're shy or if you're an introvert - rude is rude.  Don't be that way!  And I have absolutely no one in mind as I'm writing this.  Just reminding myself more than anything that I need to be teaching my children because it came up recently in our family.

As Christians our goal is to bring glory to God and to be a light for Him.  If we are rude it interferes with that.  

Matthew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Do you like it when people interrupt you?  When someone is late for their commitment with you?  When you host a party and someone spends the whole time playing with their phone?  When you speak to someone and they just look at you and blink?  When your neighbor has music blaring in the middle of the night?  If you don't like it when someone does something, then don't do it either.  Put others first.  The definition of "manners" is a person's way of behaving towards others.  Think about how your behavior affects those around you and is a reflection of Christ in you.  And then don't forget to teach your kids to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment