Thursday, June 9, 2016

Watch out for poop!

We have a dog and that means there's poop in the yard.  When other people come over I can always tell the kids who have a dog in the family because they're used to watching out for poop.  The kids who don't have a dog are the ones who always walk right into it.  Isn't that kindof like life?  Each family has their stuff (poop).  You get used to the poop at your house but might walk right into at someone else's house because it looks different.  Being a mom is such a big job - I hope I'm remembering to teach my kids all they need to know as they leave this home.

I hope I remember to teach them that life isn't about them.  If you are the center of every thought in your head God can't use you.  I want my kids to be used by God and make a difference for the Kingdom.

Going along with that, I hope I remember to teach them to be aware of people.  People are what's important.  Not getting things done or acquiring stuff but people and relationships with them.  You have to slow down to see that and remember that life isn't all about you.  Most people are only with us for a season and there's something to learn from each person while they're with us.

I hope I remember to teach them that God has a plan.  That little phrase gives me peace.  I neeed to know that someone, somewhere has a plan!  God is sovereign, completely in control and has a plan.  God not only has a great big overarching plan but He has a plan for me.  And for each of my little people.

I hope I remember to teach them to be thankful.  I was listening to a speaker once who talked about how parents should view ungratefulness in their kids as a punishable offence.  I hadn't really thought of it that way.  An annoyance maybe but not something I would really think to discipline for.  It's easy to discipline for the noisy offences we can't ignore but so much more important to remember character training.

I hope I remember to teach them to be quick to forgive.  Kids are good at this already but I hope I can impress on them the importance of carrying this trait into adulthood.  Unforgiveness breeds bitterness and no one wants to be around bitter crabby people.

I hope I remember to teach them what it means to give grace.  Grace means "unmerited favor".  Getting something you do not deserve.  I'm thankful my kids have each other but I'm a little bit terrified that someday they'll sit around sharing horror stories of me.  I'm very aware of the ways I'm constantly screwing up at mothering, but I hope they give me grace. Someday my kids will be marrying into other families, each with stuff.  I hope my kids can give some grace because they are coming from a family with some poop too.  I hope that as my kids leave home they will guard their hearts to watch out for unforgiveness and selfishness.  I hope they're aware of how important relationships are.  I hope they know how to be content and that God has a plan for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment